Monday, May 23, 2011

Can an Old Dog, Learn a New Trick?

I haven't blogged in quite sometime, and YES, I had to reset my password, AGAIN! I suck! I titled this post in the form of a question. I'm not sure about the answer but I'm going to give it a try. Sam and I booked a timeshare in Rocky Point for 1 week. I booked it nearly three months ago, not really sure how the timing would work out. Of course, as usual, the timing sucked, but after coaxing and rearranging some schedules, here we are. The reason I'm not sure if old dogs can learn new tricks is because we have no idea how to take a vacation.

We've been married 32 years this month and in 32 years we have only take a couple of vacations, none for one full week and none without work or other related duties ie bb's, toddlers, grandma's, teenagers, etc. And hardly ever go on a real vacation, not to include the visiting of family in another state camoflauged as a vacation. So what does one do when they go on a vacation? I know what they do on TV, and what a vacation SHOULD look like, but what does one really look like from our point of view? This question and many more will be answered throughout the week.

As usual getting out of town is the worse part. Sam had to drag me away from the house with my fingernails wedged into the wood grain of the front door, hard to let go, and even harder to do it with a smile. But we did it, bloody nails and all. We made it to the resort about 6:30 pm last night and were pleasantly surprised by the quiet surreen location of the resort and the breathless beauty of the ocean. My heart skipped a beat at the thought that I might be able to do this, but the venture was too much for the first night. Went to bed early and had a hopeful heart for the next morning.

Day #1

We woke up this morning and started our day off with an hour walk on the beach. We found some treasures, bobbles and thingamabobs (disney reference), some living critters, and some not. The cool breeze, soft sand and quiet beach was quite picturesque, a little cheezy I know, but true. We headed out to the pool with our $30 towels, should we lose one, and camped our white bodies on the edge of the pool. We were lucky enough to snag a cabana bed, something I always wanted to lay on, but didn't actually lay on it for the obvious reasons, it's in the shade. After a few hours of poolside sunburns, we made it to town for street tacos and thrifty ice cream. Not a fabulous day (not sure what that would look like), but a good start for a beginner. Oh, and I did check my work email to see if anyone missed me...... nope, everyone is doing fine. Pics to follow!

1 comment:

Hanna said...

SOOO jealous!! You know, you have an iphone. You could turn be using the hotel wi-fi to upload any pictures you take. OR you could use that Million-dollar camera to take some. I mean - I'm not there - so I'd like to see. And then I'd like to be there!!!