Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day #3























































Time to report on operation vacation. Today was day 3 and it's unfortunate to report but I burned my backside. Crap! I am usually pretty good about being careful but today I got wrapped up in my new book and forgot I was cooking myself at the same time. I found a book before I left titled, "Room". It was really good. It only took a day and a half but it was definintely captivating. I know this isn't a book review, but treat yourself to a good read but do so in the shade!


We started the day out early, we scampered to the poolside to see if we could snag a cabana bed, no such luck! The little suckers were saved with towels or bags from others, kind of like pissing on something to mark your territory. Even though there were no bodies on them, we knew we missed our chance. So I stalked one old mexican woman, thinking, "I can hold up here longer than she can". Wrong! The little lady was a mexican for heavens sake, she was so used to the sun, the heat and had the patience of a saint, I hate her. She wins, I lose and day #3 was to start and end with no cabana bed, damn her!


We slept, we read, and slept some more. Sam takes lots of breaks, he trips off to the room, goes for a walk and never stays in one place. Me, I'm a creature of habit, I find my spot (careful you smuts) and I stay put. You'll see by the picture of my back that I hardly moved today, another rookie mistake. It's like I'm a beginner, but not. We had lunch at the pool, cheese crips, nacho's beef sandwiches, all kinds of yummies, oh and don't forget the strawberry daquiries. MMMMM...........


After my book was done, I slipped back to the room to grab a shower, do my hair and see the damage in the mirror. Then a nice alone walk on the beach, about a mile up and a mile back. When I got back, I had the search crew looking for me. William (our cabana boy, lol) caught me as I headed back to the room and said, "your husband is looking for you", in spanglish! I got back to the room and everyone had been out looking for me......really? I had to gently let my kids know that when I am vacationing, I need my alone time. I think, and think, and talk to myself and try to solve the worlds problems during this time, and explained how much I like and need my quiet time, a little like time out, only I wasn't bad.


Sam, I think, has really been enjoying himself. He has a kindle, the kids gave him for Christmas. We figure he has read around 60 books since Christmas, he's on his 2nd since we arrived in RP. He's so easy to please, he just needs golf, books, and the "s" word. that's it. He's such a simple guy, no fuss, no trouble, no drama. He does make me laugh a bit, I mean, if you mention hotel, vacation, or time away, he thinks of one thing......and yep he's had plenty of that, yep, he's good.


So, really quickly, on my think walk, I've been trying to figure out why I can't let go. Why can't I go on vacation and leave work, kids, troubles, and all that other stuff until I get back. It's hard to put a finger on it, but I know I have some compulsive behaviors that make it so I can't get that stuff off my mind. I know they have meds for this, I should get some, actually, I probably have some, but I keep thinking I should be able to bridle all this brain activity. See the thing is, I can't have fun if those I love are not with me, or at the very least, I know are happy. I spent today thinking about Ash, and her trip to Utah and hope the girls and she are safe, I think about Hanna and her need for a new car and how badly I need to get to Wisconsin. I think about T-bone and all the stresses he's under. I think about G & C and hope their future plans are on track and wonder how Sky is out on his own. I hope Mallory finds happiness after her ordeal and I worry about number 7, hoping he's happy, content, and is the best Missionary he can be. Now that the kids are grown, I still worry and think about them, but less and less as I have replaced that worry for work worry. See, when the kids were little, they defined me. They were my life, I was who I was because of them, and now that they are out of the house, I think I've found a new obsession. It's my work, so now, I let work define me. These are not good things, just a little too much introspect or retrospect, whatever.


Enough of that, more tomorrow.......... sleeping in, facials, golf, and more sun, wish me luck!




PS. The first day we woke up around 7:30 am, yesterday around 8:30 and today it was a solid 9:30 am, this is a good sign.


PSS. Mal is going to save us a cabana bed at 8:00 am! Adios!

2 comments:

TheMan said...

lol! I love that getting up "early" to save a cabana means 8:00 a.m. Penelope would be AWESOME in MExico. She would have definitely snagged you a cabana with her wake up hour of 5:30 this morning. I let her know that she was NOT invited on my imaginary vacation to PV with you guys. ENJOY that vacation! Your next "vacation" will definitely not include that much relaxation. There are five kids determined to make sure you don't get one teeny iota of downtime *if* you venture our way ;) (The "if" is 'cause I would NOT blame you for staying in Mexico versus coming to Wisconsin. ;)

TheMan said...

that was hanna. ;)